Recently, I have been tasked to write a short recipe for Nestlé CERELAC® Baby Cereal. The idea of making golden brown pancakes instantly came to my mind. Babies love yummy and fluffy pancakes! And I love them too. But I have never made pancakes from scratch. Pancake mix is readily available at supermarkets – making pancakes from your own recipe is definitely going to be a challenge for me!
I scoured the internet for online recipes and tweaked some of the ingredients. I want a simple recipe that is not too complicated and easily replicated. So here goes!
What you will need
- 1 cup all purpose plain flour
- 1/2 cup Nestlé CERELAC® brown rice
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 medium size egg
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
Optional: Hershey’s chocolate syrup, sliced banana and strawberries
This makes approximately 20 mini pancakes.
Sift the flour, cereal and baking powder into the mixing bowl to get rid of clumps. Add in the milk, egg and softened butter into the bowl. I have used a whisk initially, but decided that a silicon spatula works better towards the end.
Mix everything well until you reach a smooth consistency like the photo above. Now, you are ready to fry your batter in a pan.
I used a stone induction pan at medium heat. The trick to get a golden brown on the pancake is not to flip over when its too early. Flip the cake when you see the bubbles form on top (see the sample on the top left).
If you are not using a non stick pan, you can grease the pan with a little oil or butter. Somehow, I find that Teflon coated pans have a limited lifespan so I prefer either ceramic coated or stone pans like the one I am using. These are great for frying omelettes too.
The pancakes taste best when served hot. I made 20 mini pancakes – ate a few and there was a lot of leftover. So I wrapped the pancakes separately in baking paper and placed them in a tupperware for freezing. You can defreeze, steam and serve them during tea-time. They make ideal snacks or finger food for baby.
You may substitute the recipe with full cream milk and in case of egg allergy, omit the egg. For the health conscious, you can dip the pancakes in yoghurt and serve with other fruits as well.
This is my first time creating the pancakes! I am happy to say they look golden brown and taste cottony and fluffy. It’s a good idea to incorporate healthy choices such as Nestlé CERELAC® brown rice cereal to your diet, as well as baby’s diet because
- It is the FIRST and ONLY infant cereals with BIFIDUS BL probiotics – helps to fight against harmful bacteria, thereby maintaining a healthy digestive system. (Disclaimer: probiotics may be destroyed in this pancake recipe due to the heat from the frying process)
- Iron-fortified along with essential vitamins and minerals
- Contains DHA – an important building block for brain and eye development
- Made with baby grade ingredients that are grown especially for babies
- Cereals hydrolyzed enzymatically (CHE) is a unique technology used in CERELAC® to breakdown carbohydrates in cereal into smaller pieces for easier digestion
The honey in Nestlé CERELAC® has been treated with heat to kill the bacterial spores so there is no risk of harmful bacteria growing in the baby’s digestive tract – parents can be assured that it is safe for the consumption in babies above 6 months old.
You may request for samples of CERELAC® here and purchases can be made at leading supermarkets such as NTUC Fairprice, Giant, Cold storage and online through Nestlé E Shop , Lazada, Qoo10 and Redmart.
This year, Nestlé is celebrating 150 years of establishing their CERELAC® brand – an infant cereal with a rich heritage and founded on a basis of strong scientific evidence and tailored nutrition for growing babies.
I am happy to announce that Nestlé is giving out CERELAC® hampers to 3 lucky readers.
To participate in this giveaway, you need to
1. Like my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/drdonnachow
2. Like and share this facebook post. Remember to change this setting to public.
3. Under comments of the facebook post, tag 4 or more friends who may be interested in this giveaway
Please do note that all of the above steps have to be completed to qualify for this giveaway.
It is open to parents residing in Singapore and the 3 lucky winners will be randomly picked by online tool and announced on my facebook page. Good luck!
Do try out my recipe and tell me how your mini pancakes turn out.
* This giveaway will end on 4 September 2016 Sunday at 12 noon.